Friday, April 10, 2015

PROBLEMS FOR SUMMER MEETING AT LARGS

Dear Member,
As you know, the Summer Meeting at Largs Kelburn was confirmed in writing on 7th March last year by their Secretary and myself. .On visiting the Club today to finalise arrangements, I was informed that their Secretary had resigned in February of this year and had failed to enter our fixture in their diary nor had he informed the Professional.
Needless to say I was speechless and extremely upset, even more so in that they have two Outings already arranged for the 14th May at the times we had reserved the tee.
Obviously these visitors are paying and we are not!
After lengthy negotiations, I have to inform you that rather than lose our Summer Meeting I have had to accept an earlier tee-off time of 8.30am. I know that this earlier tee-off time will affect some of the members who are travelling a distance and bearing in mind that the Draw is done in strict handicap order as it is the Championship Qualifier. We will be restricted to approximately 81 players, giving us 27 tee times with 8 minute intervals. I have to request all of you to be understanding of the limitations, restrictions and requests that we have to enforce. I will set these out numerically as it is easier to follow.

1. The lowest handicappers are out first and I would ask all players with a handicap of 9 and under who most definitely could not make the time allotted, i.e. from 8.30am
until say 9.15am, to telephone me as soon as possible in order that I may try to do the Draw to facilitate everyone. I know this may not be completely satisfactory to
everyone but again I am asking you to be understanding of our difficulty.

2. I would request all players to be on the tee at least 10 minutes before their starting time. Because the first hole is a Par 3 (and can be a little stinker!), we wish to get play moving as quickly as possible. So, if the green clears quickly then the next 3 can tee off early. Also, if any player is in difficulty perhaps it would be sensible to wave the next 3 players through before hunting for balls.

3. I have arranged for catering to be available from 8am in case any of you wish to have your breakfast there before teeing off! Also, catering will be available all day from 8am from the usual Bar Menu but they also have a really nice restaurant upstairs if anyone wishes something a little fancier!

Since arriving home later this afternoon, I have received an email from the Acting Secretary of Largs Golf Club with the sincere apologies from the Captain and the membership for the inconvenience caused to us. I would also inform you that they did manage to cancel one of the parties who had a tee-off time at 11am., but unfortunately the ladies from East Renfrewshire Golf Club are a large party and naturally the Club could not rearrange their date. They may have to put back their tee-off time but I would hope that all the West Vets would do their utmost to get play underway as quickly as possible.
I realise that this might be a bit of a shock to all of you but I can assure you that it was an even bigger one for me!!
I do hope that the Committee will have your full support and co-operation to ensure an enjoyable day for everyone.
Should you have any queries regarding the above or would like clarification on anything, please do not hesitate to contact me. (I might regret saying this!)
I realise that this Email will not affect all of you but since the closing date for entry is still 12 days away, we felt it better to send this to everyone. The Draw will be done as soon as possible after the 22nd April so please look on the Website thereafter.

Kind Regards, Morag
Your "stressed out" Secretary